William Ellis Tucker (1800-1832), the son of a Philadelphia merchant for imported china, opened his own porcelain factory in 1826 and had his first successful kiln firing barely a year later. His initial products were simply decorated with gold bands or sepia drawings. The quality of his factorys workmanship soon improved, however, and eventually Tucker porcelain could be found in elegant homes in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and beyond. Tuckers factory was plagued with financial difficulties through much of its short history, as porcelain manufacture was a costly undertaking. In 1828, Tucker reluctantly accepted John Hulme, son of a wealthy Philadelphian, as a partner. The partnership was not successful, however, and dissolved within a few months.
Place object was created: Philadelphia, PA
porcelain, gilding (material)
Measurements: height: 7 inches diameter: 8 inchesMuseum Purchase: Mint Museum Auxiliary Fund 2003.97.5
Currently on view at Mint Museum RANDOLPH