< Fashion < Works

Gentleman's Dress Suit

circa 1890-1900

Schloss Brothers (US, - present)

The three-piece suit as routine daywear for men originated in the 1880s and continued into the 20th century with little change to the matching of coat, vest, and trousers cut from the same cloth. This attire became the mainstay of a gentleman’s business and leisure garments in the late 19th century. Variety came in the form of the cut of the pockets (patch, rounded or straight) buttons (3 versus 4 closures) on the coat, trousers finished with a creased or non-creased press, and vests that were either single or double breasted variations. A range of fabrics were used; black and navy blue were the two most popular colors. Although the three-piece suits may appear to be the staple of a man’s wardrobe, a selection of suits was also designed specifically for various sports activities, at home leisure, and formal occasions.

In North Carolina, the Belk Departments Stores began as a small bargain shop opened by William Henry Belk in the town of Monroe on 29 May 1888. In 1891, John Belk joined the business which became Belk Brothers Company. The first Charlotte store opened in 1895.

Place object was created: United States

wool (textile)

Measurements:    height: 37 inches    height: 20 inches    height: 45 inches

Gift of the Mint Museum Auxiliary, donated by Mrs. W.R. Reid 1993.24.9A-C

Currently on view at Mint Museum RANDOLPH