William Ellis Tucker's porcelain factory (US, 1826 - 1830)
William Ellis Tucker (1800-1832), the son of a Philadelphia merchant for imported china, opened his own porcelain factory in 1826 and had his first successful kiln firing barely a year later. His initial products were simply decorated with gold bands or sepia drawings. The quality of his factorys workmanship soon improved, however, and eventually Tucker porcelain could be found in elegant homes in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and beyond. Landscapes such as that on this plate are characteristic of Tucker porcelain. No two were identical and seem to be imaginary rather than representational of actual scenes. Thomas Tucker, the chief decorator of the factory, is usually credited with being responsible for the painting.
Place object was created: Philadelphia, PA
Measurements: diameter: 6 inchesGift of Mr. and Mrs. Dwight M. Beeson 1973.4.3
Currently on view at Mint Museum RANDOLPH