The central reliefs of this plaque is based on bronzes by the Italian Renaissance sculptor Guglielmo della Porta (c. 1500-1577). Wedgwood intended such plaques to be inlaid in room panels, used as tablets for chimneypieces, or hung as wall ornaments.
Place object was created: Etruria, Staffordshire, England
stoneware, black basalt
Measurements: height: 8 inches width: 11.25 inchesMuseum Purchase: Delhom Collection 1965.48.1386
Currently on view at Mint Museum RANDOLPH